Sunday, September 25, 2011

You Can't Stop the Beat

My very first concert was The Osmonds. I was crazy for Donny and Marie. I saved my babysitting money and bought tickets. My best friend and both our moms also went. We had floor seats. My friend and I had bought matching outfits to wear to the concert and we went to Magic Pan before hand for delicious crepes. Maybe I am mixing some of those events...maybe the matching outfits was for something else...I am old and my memories are getting condensed. Anyway, the concert was great! It was right after Donny Osmond's first child was born and they would flash random baby photos up on the big screen. I stood on my chair and screamed. That was seventh grade. I probably would behave pretty much the same if I saw the Osmonds in concert now.

I haven't been to many concerts. I love to go to them, they have great people watching. But, they are loud and crowded and expensive. I am thinking about the concerts I have been to and realize that the people I have seen live, didn't make the 30 Day Song Challenge. Interesting. I guess that is not entirely true...I have seen Garth Brooks, and Sugarland, and they made the Challenge cut. Now that I am sitting here thinking about concerts, I have been to more than I thought...I just haven't been for quite a long time! The Jets, Kool and the Gang, Janet Jackson, Starship, Night Ranger...Can you guess what decade I went to concerts? Then I started listening to country music...Randy Travis, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Lorrie Morgan. Then I had kids. I have seen Barney and Sesame Street Live! We also went to the Country Music Festival in Nashville a few years ago and saw loads of great acts. I can't wait to go to that again! I have managed to squeeze in a few Jimmy Buffet concerts too.

My son wanted to go to a Family Values Concert a few years ago. I told him to call my younger brother and ask him to go. I didn't think I could handle that. Way too much head banging music. So, my son and my brother went. They had a good time. They saw things that would have made the mom in me cringe. My son is now 19, he doesn't need an adult to drive him to concerts anymore. Of course, he doesn't listen to as much head banging stuff anymore either.

I ended the last blog with Day 16 of the 30 Day Challenge. I imagine you all had sleepless nights wondering how the remainder of the challenge was answered. The thing is, Day 17 is a song you hear often on the radio and I listen to so many different stations regularly that I don't have a good answer. I even asked my daughter "What song do I hear on the radio?" Seems silly for me not to know, but the truth is, aside from listening to a big variety of stations, I also typically have a very chatty 5 year old in the car with me so the music is background music. Or, I have teenage daughters in the car who have their ipods plugged into the car radio. Or, on the rare occasion I am in the car alone, I turn the radio off. As much as I love music, sometimes I just need to have silence. When I listen to music in the house, it is rarely the radio, usually I listen to a cd or my ipod.

Day 18- a song that you wish you heard on the radio. I love the soundtrack to Chicago. My favorite song is Roxie. So, that is my final answer. I wish I heard Roxie on the radio.

Day 19- a song from your favorite album- This Love by Maroon 5. The album is Songs About Jane. I saw a thing on T.V. about Maroon 5 once and how they were this up and coming band. A few days later I was at a friends house and her younger brother said "You have to hear this" and it was Maroon 5. I went out and bought the cd the next day. It's best listened to loud.

Day 20-a song you listen to when you're angry. Well, I guess when I'm angry I would want to listen to something fun to make me un-angry. Something that would make me smile. Raise Your Glass by P!nk, Pray for You by Jaron and the Long Road and Good to Mama by Queen Latifah (from Chicago) are all songs that I like to sing and make me smile. They also all make the cut for my running soundtrack.


I think we have pretty much established that I like music. The next couple days cover songs you listen to when you're happy, when you're sad. When I'm happy I can listen to about any song. When I'm sad, and I want to stay sad, I would listen to Feel My Love by Garth Brooks or Woman's Work by Kate Bush. They are mellow songs that could keep you down if you're down. Woman's Work was in the movie She's Having a Baby with Kevin Bacon. The scene they use the song in makes my husband cry...and he rarely cries. Good use of music in a movie.

When I got married my husband and I danced to I believe in Love by Don Williams for our first dance. I swear the dj used the extended version and that the song played for 10 minutes. I would encourage all engaged people to take dance lessons before their first dance. It will make extended songs much more bearable. Day 23's challenge is a song you want(ed) played at your wedding. I married someone with the last name Green. I really, REALLY wanted to dance to Kermit the Frog singing It's Not East Being Green, but the dj said he couldn't find it. Pfffttt! It would have been awesome.

Day 24- a song you want played at your funeral. How about this...songs I DON'T want played at my funeral...Ding Dong the Witch is Dead. Or Celebration by Kool and the Gang.

I don't know about songs at my funeral...do I want something upbeat, to celebrate my life? Do I want something like Holes in the Floor of Heaven by Steve Wariner or Lorrie Morgan's If You Came Back from Heaven? Or, do I want to stick with my families traditional Silent Night? No really, for some reason, at my uncle's funeral, the family all belted out Silent Night. It was beautiful really, but I can't hear the song at Midnight Mass without crying.

Day 25- a song that makes you laugh. My son does a pretty good rendition of Baby by Justin Beiber. His new song is Moves like Jagger by Maroon 5. His performances make me laugh. I also find Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off by Joe Nichols and You Don't Have To Take Your Clothes Off by Jermaine Stewart
kind of funny. Again, if a psychologist reviewed my choices in songs I am probably sending some pretty strong messages. This time it must be that to me nudity is funny.

For this next song, I wish I had prepared an audio clip. A song you can play on an instrument. I can play Heart and Soul on the piano, and The Saints Go Marching In and The Entertainer on the clarinet. I really wish I had prepared a performance for you. The next challenge is a song you WISH you could play. Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's would be awesome if I could play it on the guitar. Actually, I would love to play any song on the guitar. I imagine sitting around a campfire playing and singing. Or maybe in a classroom filled with little kids playing Skip To My Lou. I would love to play the guitar. I would also love to be able to sing (well) And I am Telling You ala Jennifer Hudson. My family wishes that too. In the meantime, I'll just keep practicing.

Day 28- a song that makes you feel guilty. Martina McBride's This Ones for the Girls. There is a line about the laugh lines on your face making you who you are...blah, blah, blah. The laugh lines on my face make me feel old. They make me look old. I don't like them. I do suppose that laugh lines are better to have than frown lines though.

Day 29-a song from your childhood. I love the song Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head by B.J. Thomas. I don't know why I like it or when it was introduced to me, but I remember the song. I even had a wind up music box with the song playing in it. I still sing it if I go outside on a rainy day, which happens much more frequently here in Pittsburgh than it did in Denver.

Day 30-your favorite song from this time last year. I suspect someone young wrote this challenge. I don't remember what I had a few nights ago for dinner. I sometimes forget to cook dinner until the kids complain. A song from a year ago? Ha! I googled 'Top songs of 2010'. Out of the top 10, I recognized two songs as being ones I liked and sang. California Girls by Katy Perry and Need You Now by Lady Antebellum. My 5 year old sings both of these well.

This concludes the 30 day song challenge. Hooray! It would be interesting to take some of the days challenges and repeat them every few years to see how much your taste in music grows and changes. I am clearly stuck pretty solidly in the 80's , or in country music. I already realize I didn't mention Carrie Underwood at all. Too bad. Her songs Last Name and Before He Cheats are fun. More of those tough broad songs.

As you drive around town with the girl/guy you love, look for love in all the wrong places, go 'round the cobbler's bench, or whatever else you do today, make it a good day. And turn up the radio!


No comments:

Post a Comment