Saturday, September 24, 2011

Music Makes the World Go 'Round

There is always music playing at our house.The older kids have ipods, and stereos. We have a thing-a-ma-jig in the car to hook your ipod into so that you can listen to it in the car. We even have radios in the bathrooms. Sometimes, the music just plays in my head and nobody else can hear it. Often, someone in the house is singing. Always, there is singing in the car...unless my husband is also in the car.

My ipod is full. It has 6500 songs on it. When I want to put new music on it, I have to delete songs. I have a huge variety of music on my ipod. I have oldies, country, 80's (It really is it's own genre isn't it?). I have children's music like Barney, Backyardigans and Laurie Berkner. I have enough Christmas music to listen to a different song for 3 entire days. I even have some rap/crap thanks to my daughters. Those are usually my 'go-to' songs when I need to delete something to make room for something new...usually from GLEE.

Someone on facebook passed around this 30 Day Song Challenge. The idea was to post a different song every day for 30 days. Each day there was a different category, or topic, or question to answer. I started doing the challenge, but burned out quickly because I figured it was quite dull for others to read my boring, fairly mainstream taste in music. Actually, it was just too hard for me to post a song without some background. Some songs just carry loads of memories, or at least a story. Anyway, I gave up on the 30 day challenge. But, I thought it would make a nice blog. I mean who doesn't want to read all about why I like certain songs? It will make such riveting reading!

Day One of the challenge was a toughy. "Your favorite song". How do you pick your favorite? I have several favorites. I actually think one song is my favorite, then hear another one and think, "Oh yeah, that's my favorite!" Favorite is tough. I settled on Respect by Aretha Franklin or I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. If a psychologist evaluated that, I think it probably says something about me. Perhaps I yearn to be a tough broad.

Day Two is easy...least favorite song...If I Die Young by The Band Perry. It may have a beautiful melody, but I do not want to think about people dying young. It creeps me out. The lyrics say"If I die young, bury me in silence, lay me down on a bed of roses." When my daughters sing the song, I change the lyrics and sing loudly to "If you die young, your mama would cry so hard, she'll lie down and cry for da-ays". Someone said I should think about how you can be viewed young at any age. I don't buy that. The song is creepy.

Day Three. A song that makes you happy. Mostly, listening to music makes me happy. Especially listening to GOOD music, loud, while dancing. Even happier if you are cooking or cleaning or with friends and family. So, if I had to pick a song that makes me happy, I would pick What If I Loved You by Joey Gian. It's kind of big band type music.

A song that makes you sad is Day Four's challenge. Another easy one...Trace Adkins' song you're Gonna Miss This. I was not really a Trace Adkins fan. I find him too raunchy for my taste. I am also not a long hair on men fan. But, Trace Adkins was on Celebrity Apprentice and he appears to have a good heart. Then he sang this song. I honestly teared up. I will miss all the chaos kids bring. Even the bad days, the ones you are up all night with pukey kids. I will miss it.

Day Five is when I stopped the challenge on facebook. A song that reminds you of someone. For me that song is Hello by Lionel Ritchie. It reminds me of the guy I dated in high school. For my birthday, he gave me flowers with a card that said "Hello, is it me you're looking for?" To this day I think that is still the most romantic thing a guy has ever given me. Of course, I messed this up. He had purchased tickets to see Lionel Ritchie on my birthday, but I broke up with him to date someone else, who later dumped me. Isn't high school fun? The romantic guy and I did get back together for awhile...then he went away to college and I moved far, far away. It's amazing how many times your heart can break and heal.

It's a Small World is the answer. What was the question? A song that reminds you of somewhere. My second answer would be Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seger. I love that song. (Not enough to be my favorite). I ripped off a toe nail dancing to that song once. I had on white Keds and was dancing like crazy and next thing I know, blood is soaking through my shoe. Still, a great time.

A song that reminds you of a certain event is the challenge for Day 7. Aren't there several songs that can place you back to a certain event? I chose three songs. I just couldn't pick one over the other. They are all fantastic memories. You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall and Oates was the song for senior kick line on pom pom in high school. I can remember practicing. I can remember performing. I can remember people saying they couldn't believe how high I kicked. (It was the adrenaline.) I can remember it all with fondness.

At my closest high school friends wedding I got up on stage and sang Friends In Low Places (by Garth Brooks) acapella. The band at her wedding didn't play any country music the whole night. So I made my own...with the microphone...on stage. That was one fun night. I mean a REALLY fun night.

The other song that takes me to a certain moment is 1999 by Prince. During the musicals in high school, we would all be back in the makeup room with that song blaring. 1999 seemed so far away at that time (1985!). I was surrounded by people I adored. Also, it was due to a Prince concert and a bet that I even got back together with romantic boyfriend. Yep, good memories that launch me back in time with that song!

Gretchen Wilson may end up as a one hit wonder, but she is the singer of Redneck Woman...a song I know all the words to. If I ever get to go sing karaoke, that is the song I want to sing. I have even practiced my dance moves. Am I a redneck woman? No. But I would say I have certain redneck tendencies... I also know all the words to Patsy Cline's Crazy. I love to sing it at the top of my lungs in the car. Or the shower. But I would NOT sing that for karaoke. You are welcome.

Day Nine is a song you can dance to. Wait. You mean there are songs you can't dance to? Interesting. The Hokey Pokey? Cotton Eyed Joe? Electric Slide? Macarena? I don't know...I dance to everything. Just don't look when I try to dance to rap...I am a white girl and while I have moves, they are not rap dance moves. I have junk in my trunk, but not rap suitable junk. I have the rhythm, but not the blues. I could be in the movie, "White Girls Can't Dance." But, I do get an 'A' for effort, and joy received from dancing.

Day Ten..wow, this is long. Perhaps this will be a three part blog. Keeping readers attention, that is the challenge! Appropriately, the song is one that makes you fall asleep. Hmm. Could we put this blog to music? I chose Louis Armstrong's Wonderful World. I also find Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole quite soothing and relaxing.

Day 11- a song from your favorite band. Harder to Breathe by Maroon 5. Day 12- a song from a band you hate. Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy by Big and Rich. Yuck to the song and the band. Day 13- a song that is a guilty pleasure. Younger Men by K.T. Oslin and Hillbilly Bone by Trace Adkins and Blake Shelton. Oh how I enjoy those songs! I sing, and dance and have a big old smile on my face. If those songs pop up on my ipod I repeat them several times. They are also on my playlists when I run. Good songs.OK, they probably aren't good songs, but they are fun to listen to.

I enjoy My Chemical Romance's song Teenagers and Reliant K's song Sadie Hawkins Dance. (Day 14- a song that no one would expect you to love) Their songs are a surprise even to me. I think they pop up in the alternative genre, but I do like them. Surprise!

Day 15- a song that describes you. Short People (Randy Newman), Good Golly Miss Molly (Little Richard) and Goody Two Shoes (Adam Ant). Was that too obvious? Should I have looked for a deeper meaning?

I used to listen to Soak up the Sun by Sheryl Crow all the time. We had even changed the lyrics to use for our answering machine for a while. Now, the song irritates me. (Day 16, a song that you used to love but now hate)

OK, I will finish this later. The dryer is beckoning me. The good news is it's time to crank up the music, and dance while I fold.













No comments:

Post a Comment