Friday, February 12, 2010

What got my panties in a bunch today

I have decided I am running for our school board. I have been on PTO boards for years and it's time to move on up. I am not popular on these types of boards. I am the voice of students, of common sense. Most school board and PTO members are the voice of money, questioning how to get more. It irritates me.

The problem here is that our state law is for school to be in session for 180 days per school year. What this REALLY means is that one attendance is taken, the school day counts. Any days a school board puts on the calendar more than the necessary 180 is worth more money to the district. Many schools plan for over 180 days. This year our school planned on 189 days. We have 2 days for Spring Break. We had 3 days over Thanksgiving. We start around August 25th each year and go through about June 5th each year. My complaint is this, we have had 4 snow days this week. Our county is under a State of Emergency. We need to make up at least 2 of these snow days. But, what really irritates me is that after 4 days off, they have school on Friday. Well, they have a 2 hour delay on Friday which means 30 minute class periods. Monday is a Holiday, no school. Tel me, how much learning will happen today? Four days off, 30 minute class periods, three day weekend. Today is a waste of energy for teachers, students, and all other school workers. But, kids were there for attendance, so the district gets their money. Money is more important than learning today. Money is more important than safety today too. Our streets are not plowed wide enough for kids to walk on while a car drives past. So, my kids are walking to the bus stop on icy streets, covered in 3 inches of slush. If they encounter a passing car they will either get splashed by slush, or they can stand in a snow bank. Did I mention we have about 30+ inches of snow? The school posted warnings on emails and on their T.V. station about using caution when driving and that there is not many parking spots, so ride the buses. If that is really needed, shouldn't the kids be home, safe? Ugh.

The real problem aside from money is this...people want their kids to be in school. Not for an education, but to get them out of their hair. I used to work a part time job. One evening I was there when I heard that the next day would be a snow day. SEVERAL people were suddenly in an uproar. They didn't want their kids at home, they had stuff planned, what were they going to do about work? Really? I understand that work is important. I understand that you need to go to work to earn money to buy stuff for your kids. But, work more important than your family? I don't get it. I cherish having my kids at home. I am one of those Moms that love summer vacation. I have cried more first days of school than I would like to admit. I actually like being a Mom. I am not a Mom so that people think better of me. I am not a Mom because it is what I thought I should do. I am a Mom because it is what I wanted to do. I wanted to spend time with my kids. I want to be the one who teaches them to count, to write their name, to tie their shoes. I would financially be better off if I had a paying job away from the house. My kids could take more piano lessons, be on more sports teams, go to summer camp if I had a paying job. But, I think spending time with my family is priceless. I can always go back to a paying job. I can't go back to having a 3 year old.

So, the fact that I feel like my school board has put a dollar sign over my childrens heads is very angering. Keeping kids home for one more snow day, for safety and for common sense today would have made me so much happier. I just feel like the school board was collecting the pennies as the buses unloaded this morning. I could have kept them home and collected some memories. It saddens me that so many people would rather not spend time with their kids. That snow days (or their childs illness) is an inconvience they would rather not deal with. Tell me, what part of parenting IS convenient? I didn't know convenient was part of the parent vocabulary.

Yes, I am going to run for the School Board. I need to knock some sense into people. Enjoy your kids. They grow fast. They will remember one well played snow day with their Mom way longer than they will remember the lesson they learned in a semester of Chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment