Monday, July 9, 2018

Because I Can, and Did

A few months ago, Diet Coke launched a new ad campaign. They had people walking around, talking about different things people could do, then adding, "Because I Can". One ad featured a woman who said, "If you want to run a marathon, I mean, that sounds super hard, but OK." I adored the ad because a) I LOVE Diet Coke. And b) because I was training for a marathon.

At age 48, I ran a 5k with my son. I decided I didn't hate it and that to prepare for my upcoming 50th birthday, I would run a 5k race every month for a year. So, I did. Then I decided I should run a half marathon before turning 50. So, I did! Then I decided I should run a full marathon, 26.2 miles, before turning 51. That's when the Diet Coke ads came out. That's when I started saying, "Because I Can". I even wrote "Because I Can" on my arm to motivate me during my marathon.

In November of 2017, I started training for the marathon. I signed up for a May race. I had 6 months to go from being able to run 13.1 miles, to 26.2 miles. Because I Could. I followed my training schedule pretty closely. I used the training plan Rundisney puts out. It has you running 3 days a week and allows for walk breaks. I set my goal... 4:44. I choose that goal time because that is the average marathon finish time for women.

I learned a lot about my body, my abilities, running in general, and recovery. I learned how much practicing something does help. I shaved off two minutes from my fastest one mile sprint. I learned that running a marathon is largely a mental game, and that I self sabotage. My mind gives out long before my body. I learned that I am a salty sweater. I could feel salt on my face post run. I left salt marks on my black clothing. The worst was the salt I sweat would rub against my sports bra, leaving sores all around my mid section. Glide became a must. I also kept getting blisters on my feet, until I read a blog that suggested applying Aquaphor to your feet before putting on socks. This was a huge discovery and has changed my pre-run routine. It's amazing! I learned about a muscle in your buttocks region called the piliformis. When inflamed it puts pressure on your sciatica. It seems to take a long time to heal once bothered. I haven't been patient enough to let it fully heal. I learned the value of rest days, and to enjoy stretching. I invested in a foam roller. I became conscientious about the food I was eating, and started viewing it as fuel. I drank more water. I could feel a difference in my runs if I wasn't as hydrated, or had eaten some junk. I learned to remember sunscreen application, but still have odd tan lines from running pants and sports bras. I took better care of my feet, and kept my toenails short (only scoring one black toenail in 6 months of training!) I learned that carrying a handkerchief was easier and more durable than Kleenex. Chapstick is a must carry during runs, and gummy bears are a favorite energy supplier for long runs. I discovered that paying $24.95 for a single pair of socks may sound outrageous, but the added arch support they provided was worth the price. I invested in a pair of recovery shoes (Made by Oofas) and while they aren't cute, they are so incredibly comfortable. They made a HUGE difference after long runs.

The two weeks before the race, I only took walks, no running. My piliormis muscle was very achy and I didn't want to anger it further. I stretched daily. Focused on my nutrition and hydration. Race day arrived. I left the house at 3:30am to get a good parking spot. I was ready.

I found a pacer group that was going to finish in 4:45. I ran with them for 14 miles. Then I fell back. I had trained for running two miles, walking one minute, and the group never walked. I just couldn't hang with them. Several things happened then; once I separated from the group, I felt alone. I noticed the drizzling rain, and that I was cold and my knee hurt. Then I just kept walking instead of running. Then my brain would get bored and remind me how dumb this was to attempt at age 50. Miles 16 to 20 were a real struggle. Not physically, my lungs were not tired. My feet were only slightly achy. My back felt fine. My shoulders ached from being cold from the rain, but otherwise, physically I felt good! At mile 20 I decided to use the porta potty, thinking emptying my bladder would give me one less thing to think about. SURPRISE! My period started. I was unprepared. So now I'm in a porta potty, (something I usually try to avoid at all costs.) on mile 20 of a marathon, and my period is here with no protection. I folded up toilet paper like a pad, and left the porta potty. Only 6 more miles...

I walked and ran for 2 miles, when I suddenly had a burst of energy. I ran the last 4 miles. I think I smiled for that whole time...mainly grateful I survived miles 16-20. I finished 27 minutes slower than my goal. I was pretty disappointed. It took several days to forgive myself and accept that finishing something I started, and completing a marathon, where still big accomplishments. That was the moment I knew I'd train for another marathon.

My take way is that next time I will run the race the way I trained, taking my walk breaks earlier. I will engage in conversation with ANYONE starting at mile 16 to hopefully keep my mind occupied, and I will tie a jacket around my waist in case of inclement weather to avoid the sore shoulders from being cold.

The most important lesson I learned is that it's OK for me to take time out to do something just for me. The pride I had in myself for completing the race was a new and exhilarating feeling. For a week, I told anyone I encountered about my achievement. It's funny how many times you can sneak "I just ran a marathon" into a random conversation. I was just SO proud! I can't wait until the next race...

No comments:

Post a Comment